It is often a challenge to give a fixed price for a writing/editing project because of the numerous unknown factors – how long it is, how much editing is required, how many photos will be incorporated, and the like – but, from the buyer’s perspective, there is often a desire to know what’s involved in fees before making a commitment.
To simplify matters in the case of Legacy Letters, we have defined a “standard” Legacy Letter Package and charge a flat fee of $175. The general terms of this standard package are described below.
Beginning with the end in mind, Wordsmith Associates will deliver:
- a finished letter up to 5,000 words in length (~20 double-spaced pages), printed in B&W or color in high-resolution on acid-free linen paper (white or ivory) – 3 copies – with:
- professional fonts appropriate for the letter
- agreed-upon color scheme for printed text and graphic elements
- inclusion of up to 3 images (scanned)
- inclusion of author’s signature (scanned)
- protective storage envelope
- electronic copy of the finished letter as a high-resolution PDF
- all source files (in native format) created in the process of completing the letter
To create these final deliverables, the writer of the Legacy Letter will be timely in providing:
- an original draft of the letter in electronic form
- an updated draft based on comments and suggestions made
- review and approval of edited draft
- original art for photos and other images
- decisions regarding fonts, colors, document design, and other format matters
- final acceptance of the finished work
In helping to create the finished letter, Wordsmith Associates will provide:
- resources to assist the author in deciding what to include in the Legacy Letter
- reactions to the author’s draft and suggestions for improvement (one round)
- editing to ensure grammatical accuracy and consistency (one round)
- overall document design plan, addressing font selection, page format, use of artistic motifs, content organization, and image placement
- high-level work schedule and targeted deadlines
Once a client indicates interest in purchasing a standard Legacy Letter Package, there will be a preliminary scoping discussion and Wordsmith Associates will provide a letter agreement that, when agreed by the client, will serve to guide and govern the work.
ADD-ON Services and Change Orders
There is nothing to preclude enhancements or modifications to the standard package but, to make that happen, the changes will be discussed, priced, and agreed, then documented in the letter agreement.
Some of the enhancements/modifications desired by clients may include:
- Longer content
- More help in generating content
- Multiple document sources
- Additional round(s) of author draft review
- Additional round(s) of text editing
- Additional images
- Additional copies
- Special printing needs
- Special binding
- Decorative envelope(s)
Similarly, if in the course of the work the client requests services that were not part of the originally scoped work, Wordsmith Associates will identify the change, the change in services will be discussed and priced, and a change order (modifying the prior letter agreement) will be prepared and agreed before work begins on the revised services.