Rod Mebane is known for his ability to simplify complex things and to present them in compelling ways. In 1993, for example, Rod teamed with his Spanish professor to produce an ingeniously designed text, called Más Fácil, to contain the complete rules of Spanish grammar in less than 100 pages. Más Fácil (1993) initially launched as a Prentice-Hall textbook, but it has recently been refreshed & released to the general public as Más Fácil 2nd Ed (2021). To round out this new edition, Rod completed a grammar reference for the English language, called Everyday Grammar Made Easy (2021), published by Wellfleet Press.
In general, exceptional analytical and presentation skills have served Rod well in his career – one that is anchored by a number of significant positions, including university treasurer (SMU, in Dallas), foundation director (MacArthur), chief learning officer (BDO USA), and consulting partner (St. Charles). Along this trek, grounded in degrees from Swarthmore College and UPenn’s Annenberg School, Rod sharply honed his communication knowledge and skill. He now offers a variety of communication support services to individuals and organizations under the banner of Wordsmith Associates.
As a master wordsmith, Rod helps clients realize their authoring goals, enabling them to “tell their stories” in a variety of meaningful and enduring ways. His own published work spans the fields of education, professional development, social service, and investment & finance. (See accompanying portfolio list – below.) Rod’s current development focus is on the power of human resilience. With that in sight, he recently co-founded Resilience.Land – a “resource-full” environment where people can explpore key dimensions of resilience and find tools that help create resilience-building strategies, for themselves or their organizations.
Rod lives with his wife Donna and blind-dog Willie in Geneva, Illinois, a far-west suburb of Chicago. When pursuing avocational interests, Rod can be found carving wood, championing honeybees, and nurturing his family tree.
Publication Portfolio – Rod Mebane / Wordsmith Associates
Rod’s wordsmith work has resulted in the following major publications:
- Everyday Grammar Made Easy (Rod Mebane, Wellfleet Press, 2021)
- Más Fácil: A Quick Grammar Reference for the Student of Spanish (Estelita Calderón-Young & Rodney M. Mebane, Wordsmith Associates, 2021)
- There Are No Alligators in Heaven! (Jennifer Hale et al., Starshine Galaxy Foundation, 2017)
- My Life: An American’s Journey (Margaret Jeanine Condit Hastings, Wordsmith Associates, 2017)
- On the Earthly Way (Rev. Joseph Morris, Wordsmith Associates, 1876 – published 2016)
- Tributes to Lost Children (Rod Mebane, Starshine Galaxy Foundation, 2016)
- Update 21: A Journal of Spiritual Victory (Beth Bello, Starshine Galaxy Foundation, 2015)
- Tomorrow Comes: An Emma Story (Donna Mebane, Starshine Galaxy, 2013)
- A Book Abot Chaps (Emma Mebane, Starshine Galaxy, 2011)
- Belle Douleur (Melissa Bourgeois, Pelican Point Press, 2010)
- CPE Field Guide: The Definitive Operations Manual for Developers of Training for CPAs (Ross Stern & Rod Mebane, St. Charles Publications, 2010)
- The Common Gospel (R.M. Mebane, Wordsmith Associates, 2006)